HAPPY SUNDAY. I feel so relieved – like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. For the entirety of my winter break, I was finishing up the material for my NASM CPT exam. I just had it yesterday, and I PASSED!!!! PHEW. I was so nervous. When the proctor told me I passed the exam, I had trouble containing my excitement and let out a brief yelp before I was reminded that this was a *quiet* testing facility!! Oops 😉
It feels fantastic to have that done and under my belt, and opens up opportunities for a job this coming semester! Speaking of this semester..it starts tomorrow. I’m not looking forward to it…but I only have two classes at school, and three online courses..so that won’t be too bad right? Hopefully not.. :p
I’ve been thinking a lot about my future lately – what do ya’ll now about the Nutrition Therapy Practitioner certification? or the Master Nutrition Therapy Practitioner cert.? (Click here for the site I’m looking at) I just feel like that type of nutrition practice is the approach I want to take on it.
Is it worthwhile for me to continue 2 more years in school to get a bachelor’s in nutrition, and end up with $30,000 more in loans, on top of the $25,000 I already have in loans? Seriously – I need a lot of opinions here people! Is it possible to build a well-paying, stable career off of the MNT certification, with the NASM CPT certification? Or is it more beneficial to get a degree? This has just recently been on my mind..so I’ve got a little while to figure that out.
On to the recipe! The other night, I was in the mood for a casserole – one that was creamy and savoury. I conjured up this tasty recipe!
Cheesy Chicken & Green Veggie Casserole (GLUTEN FREE)
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 c. broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 c. brussel sprouts, cut into 1/4s
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 onion (minced)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 c. milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp chevrie goat cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Fresh grated parmesean
- salt, pepper, oregano, and basil to taste
- Panko (optional, not gluten free)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut your chicken breast into small pieces. Add olive oil, garlic, and onion to a skillet – Saute until transparent. Add chicken to the pan, and cook until it is no longer pink.
- While the chicken is cooking, you can steam your brussels and broccoli however you prefer. I steamed my broccoli in the microwave (4 1/2 min), and boiled my brussels for about 8ish minutes.
- When chicken is removed from heat, add all veggies and chicken to the same pot/pan and stir them up.
- Now it’s time to makeyour ‘cheesy’ sauce. Melt your goat cheese in a small pan, and once it’s no longer thick/solid, add your milk. Stir, adding salt, pepper, oregano, and basil to taste.
- Once it’s started to get a little warmer, add your nutritional yeast and stir til it’s mixed well. Remove from heat, and add your two eggs, whisking to blend ingredients together. (feel free to add a little bit of parm to this mixture)
- Pour a litttle bit of your ‘cheese’ sauce into the bottom of your casserole dish, then add some of your chicken/veggies. Alternate wet & dry ingredients until casserole dish is full. Top with parmesean cheese and bread crumbs. (again, optional.)
- Bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes. Enjoy! 🙂
I alsooo made homemade peanut butter cups – with dairy, nut, & soy free chocolate chips and natural peanut butter! WAY better than a reeses 😉
And lastly..for the laughs! I saw this on my way out of the grocery store the other day.
Have a fabulous week everyone, and good luck to all college students heading back to school this week!